Willing to play video games? But unable to do so because someone is watching programs on the TV? Then, you may want to use your PC as a replacement screen. In this article, we will let you know how you can use a laptop as a monitor for PS4.
Hence, the things required are PS4, Laptop, HDMI, remote controller, and Micro-USB cable (network connection). Whether you like to plug your PS4 into a laptop display rather than a big LED TV, it is essential to have these things. You should know that you are unable to attach High Definition Multimedia Interface port on the Laptop directly. The reason is that this one is unidirectional. Using the HDMI port, you can see the content of your PC to the external monitor only. But you require the video input and HDMI input to create a link with PlayStation to the laptop display.
How to Use Laptop as a Monitor for PS4:
It is not so easy to use a PC as a monitor like you connect it to the HDMI cable. The reason is that PlayStation 4 and laptops both use HDMI outputs. Each of these is not designed for HDMI input.
As a choice, you can purchase a video capture card or take the help of a game-streaming service. But the issue is that each of them introduces significant input delay. If necessary, you can use the physical HDMI ports because these are backward compatible. But the wires are compatible with video signals in one direction.
However, removing the panel of the Laptop can be done technically. Then, you are required to find a controller for the ribbon plug for transferring to the HDMI. After that, you can use this as a display.
Both can be damaged if you have attached two HDMI output devices through HDMI. A few methods are there to make a connection between PS4 and your Laptop. The two simple ways are using a capture card and a streaming service or Remote Play.
Connect Laptop and PS4 via a Video Capture Card:
A video capture card is a small tool to watch content from your console on another device. Besides, a video capture card allows you to record video footage. Use the capture cards to attach the Laptop as a monitor.
You need to acquire and prepare the necessary accessories for the setup.
If you want to make the system, first, you will require the Laptop, Ethernet or WIFI connection, a video Acquisition device, network connection, HDMI wire, and compatibility for file sharing. In most cases, you can see people using a video capture card while streaming or recording console games.
But these can’t deliver the best performance for direct gaming because they lag from the input delay. However, it works well while you screen records your games.
- A video capture card
- A dual-functioning HDMI cable
- A PS4 model with a File Sharing option
- An Ethernet or a wireless network connection
- A laptop
Check Connection Settings:
Your first task is to navigate to the Settings first in the PS4 menu to turn on file sharing. After that, you should navigate to the network settings. Then, you are required to open the Internet Connection Settings and look for the network connection. Now, ensure that you have connected your device.
If there is no wireless connection, it is necessary to configure the PS4 and the Laptop to the same router. This job can be done taking assistance from Ethernet cables. It allows you to stream between the two.
Install the Software:
Take the help of the USB port for connecting the Video Capture Card to your Laptop. It will constitute a combined S-video connection. You should install the software available with the Video Card so that it works properly. Here, you need to ensure one thing is that your video capture card is of top quality.
Plug HDMI and PS4 to Capture Card:
If you are willing to plug the video card into the PS4, it is necessary to have an S-video connection wire. After that, your job is to connect the HDMI-IN on the capture card and connect HDMI-OUT on the PS4.
Open and Run the Software:
Your task now is to see whether the software can be opened or not. After opening the software, your job is to power up the PS4. The software will find the device and then display it on the screen. Here, you must make sure that the app should be in full-screen mode for displaying the full resolution. Ensure that you run the software after finishing the procedure.
Following the steps, you can configure the Laptop to stream gameplay from the device with HDMI.
How to Download Remote Play on Windows:
It is effortless to download the Sony Remote Play. Just go to the official website of Sony and download it from there. In this case, you should be careful about one thing that is you can choose the right operating system for your Laptop.
This gives two options— Mac and Windows PC. In case you download the incorrect version, you cannot install and operate it.
How to Set Up a PS4 for Remote Play:
When you have finished downloading the correct version for Windows, and with the help of the software, you can play PS4 on your Laptop. You will get improved stability in this latest update. So, those who have downloaded the Remote play already can get the updated version.
The steps you are required to perform to install the PlayStation Remote Play for Windows are as follows:
As soon as you complete downloading the software, you should run the installation file. It helps to open a new dialog box. In the dialog box, you can see the instructions letting you know the installation process and setting up correctly. You have to ensure that you must download the extra features also. If you are willing to download the additional features, you should check the right options available in the dialog box.
When the installation process is completed, setting up the PS4 gaming console is necessary.
If you are willing to set up, follow the instructions.
- First, your job is to enable the PlayStation 4 console and subsequent move to the Settings.
- After that, your task is to tap the Remote
- Play Connection Settings.
- As soon as you open the settings tab, you need to choose the Enable Remote Play checkbox. Thus, you can turn on PlayStation 4 to interact with the installed Remote Play software.
- After that, your job is to return to Account Management from PS4’s Settings.
- Set up the console of the device as the primary system. Next, you should tap on the Activate as your Primary PS4. Then, you have to tap the activate option.
- When the console is in rest mode, you can use the Remote Play feature.
Steps that need to be performed are:-
- First, your task is to head towards the PlayStation 4’s settings menu.
- Now, you should move to the Power Save Settings.
- Next, your job is to tap on the Set Features Available option in rest mode.
- After that, you should go to the Enable Turning on PS4 option and check it from the Network. You should keep a connection with the Internet checkboxes.
Thus, you can set up the Remote Play on PlayStation.
How to Use Remote Play and Connect PS4 to Laptop:
Heat distribution plays a major role if you are using a graphics card. A preset fan speed curveball can be used, decreasing the speed or boosting it depending on the GPU temperature. The feature helps to determine the cooling performance while the heat is produced.
Thus, it is possible to overclock the GPU avoiding damages.
It enables you to save the presets to use these. Thus, the utility will configure to the desired settings.
How to Connect the Laptop to PS4 with the Help of Remote Play:
When you complete downloading, installing, and setting up the Remote Play, you should use that after that to run the PS4 on your Laptop.
Things that you need to do here are:
- Your first task is to power on the PlayStation 4. If you are willing, you can put this into the rest mode. But make sure that the PS4 has been configured for that mode.
- After that, you are required to attach the controller to the Laptop. You can follow two methods— use the DUALSHOCK USB wireless adapter or USB cable.
- You should go to the installed Remote Play Software and open it on the Laptop.
- After that, your task is to hit the start button.
- As soon as the window asks you for the information, you have to put the credentials for signing into your PlayStation Network account.
- While you are using Remote play, ensure that a good network connection is available. Otherwise, you can experience lagging on poor internet connection.
How to Connect PlayStation 4 to a Laptop via PlayStation Now:
PlayStation Now is a PlayStation console gaming experience that doesn’t have any PlayStation console. It is the latest gaming subscription-based service of Sony through which you can play the PS2, PS3, and PS4 games. You don’t need to purchase the console or the game.
The service is not free, but it offers multiple amazing PlayStation games. You can access them quickly and play them without a PS4.
If you are willing, you may test the trial version of the service. You will need
Windows 7,8.1 or 10, Intel Core i3 with 3.5 GHz or AMD A10 with 3.8 GHz, minimum 2GB Memory, and 300 MB Storage.
How to download PlayStation Now for Windows:
You should download the PlayStation Now and install it after that. To do this, you are required to follow the steps.
- If you are willing to download this, your first task is to move to Sony’s official website. You are capable of Googling it also using the related keywords. For example, you can use Sony PlayStation Now. After that, your job is to tap the official website of Sony. Thus, you are capable of opening the PlayStation Now downloader webpage.
- As soon as you download this, you need to open the setup wizard. Then, you have to tap on the next option.
- Now, you have to agree to the license agreement, and then you have to tap on next.
- Move to the folder of your Laptop in which you are willing to install the PlayStation Now. After that, you should tap on the next option.
- You have to check the box then to generate a shortcut for the desktop. Then, you should tap on next again to move forward.
- Hit the install button now.
- You can see a prompt appearing two times, allowing the app to change the system. Then, tap on the allow.
- After that, you should tap install that is available on the install popup wizard. The PlayStation Now can take some minutes for installation.
- As soon as you finish installation, your job is to tap on the finish option. After that, the PlayStation Now will launch automatically. In case it doesn’t happen, begin this manually.
How to Use PlayStation Now and Play PS4 on a Laptop:
- Your first job is to choose the date of birth, region, and language. Now, you are required to tap on the submit option.
- You have to tap on a sign-in option that is available at the top right corner of your display. In this case, you may need to update some settings.
- After that, your job is to tap the “start free trial” available at the top of the homepage. As soon as you tap on this, it will go to the browser.
- You have to choose a 1-month subscription or the 12-month annual subscription when you see the options. It depends on what you prefer. After the trial period ends, you will be charged automatically.
- You need to choose the “choose a version” option available on the left side of the page.
- Your job is to type the credentials to log in to the Sony Account. You should use the same account to sign in to PlayStation Now.
- After that, hit the “7-day trial” option.
- It may happen that you have not saved any payment billing details already. Hence, you need to put the payment details as per your preferred method.
- As soon as you register the payment details, return to the app and play games as you prefer. It is possible to cancel the subscription before the ending time of the free trial. In this case, you are required to head towards Sony Settings on your Laptop. Then, navigate to the Account Management, Account Information, and PlayStation Subscription, respectively. Next, you need to choose the PlayStation Now Subscription option and disable the Auto Renew option.
Plug the controller into the Laptop if you’re willing to play games. Perform the steps to do this.
Your first job is to use the USB cable to connect the controller to the Laptop.
After connecting, you can see a controller icon appearing on display in the top right corner. Tap on the option for connecting the controller.
Thus, you can attach the controller.
Built-In Recording Function:
PlayStation 4 comes with a built-in recording function using which you are capable of recording the gameplay with voice narration. Then, you should store this on the Laptop.
This feature enables you to broadcast the PS4 directly to your Laptop display.
- The setup process is straight forward
- You have to ensure that both PS4 and Laptop should be connected to a similar network.
- Then, you can open any game that you are willing to play or record.
- Next, you should hit the “share” button available on your controller. Now, a menu appears in front of the screen with multiple sharing sub-options.
- Tap on the “advance settings” and click the “broadcasting settings” sub-menu.
- Finally, select your Laptop from the window and then begin streaming.
If you are willing to add voice, you can do this too. However, the primary job of this function is to record the video only. As soon as you feel fine with the settings, play any game as you prefer. The settings will record this automatically.
Playing PS4 on a laptop is very useful. If you use HDMI, it becomes cheaper and more reliable. Besides, there is no necessity to invest plenty of money to get the gaming experience. The best advantage is that it allows you to stream games without lagging.
OBS Recording Software:
It is a third-party display recording software using which you can use a laptop as a monitor with the PlayStation 4. In this case, the benefit is that there is no need to take the help of a video capture card for playing PS4 on a laptop.
The software comes with a few advantages that are:
- It is open-source software for free use.
- The software is equipped with features like High-performance real-time AV capturing.
- Audio mixing, noise suppression, and gain Streamlined settings.
- Studio mode enables you to review the PS4 screen recordings and delete the parts that are not essential.
- It supports Windows, macOS, and Linux devices.
Steps that you are required to perform are:
- First, your job is to download the OBS recorder by navigating to the official website and installing it afterward.
- Then, you have to open the software and select the window capture option.
- It allows you to customize your recordings based on the available settings.
- Next, head towards the display of PS4 and then choose “OK.”
Compared to video capture cards, this software is easier to use.
Using PSNow to Play PS4 Games:
PSNow can run off the PlayStation Network. You might not experience speed too much. However, your network speed is also a dependent factor. It has a drawback that is the app is a little bit expensive.
If you cannot use your Laptop as a monitor, you can purchase a portable monitor. A lot of portable monitors are available in the market. Most of them are known as tablets and can be used with laptops and other devices.
There is another benefit of using a portable monitor. It enables you to use this as a second screen for your device. When making any road trip, a portable monitor can become very useful.
The Bottom Line:
Did I wonder how to use your Laptop as a monitor for PS4? We have covered the topic in our article. These ways come with simple steps that don’t need too much time. Therefore, you can run without waiting for a while and play the games without waiting for a while.
It is possible to connect PS4 and Laptop through a Remote Play or via a Video Capture Card. You can try any of these methods. However, it is recommended to use Remote Play because this one is Sony’s official alternate gaming-streaming solution.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do you have to use remote play to play the PS4 on your Laptop?
No, it is not mandatory to use Remote Play. It is one of the simplest and most in-expensive processes you can try.
- Will your PS4 run smoothly on your Laptop?
If you want to use a laptop as a monitor, it is necessary to use an HDMI cable, video capture card, or Remote Play. To follow the methods and perform, you should have a strong internet connection running smoothly. If you don’t have a strong connection, you may experience a lag between the controller and the Laptop. Besides, laptops of low-end models can face troubles while running the PS4 properly. If the Laptop is on the lower end, you have to manage the fps and resolution settings.
- How do you know if my Laptop is HDMI input or output?
It isn’t easy to get a laptop with HDMI input. In most cases, laptops contain HDMI output, due to which it is unable to receive a video signal except its motherboard. It indicates that you cannot connect other output devices easily to your Laptop. You should check once the specifications of your Laptop and see if it comes with HDMI output or input. Whether your Laptop is HDMI-input, it is possible to make a direct connection between your PS4 and Laptop via the HDMI cable.