Multitasking has become necessary to the daily work routine in today’s fast-paced digital world. However, it is challenging to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with a single monitor. It is where many monitors come into play. In order to increase productivity, multitask efficiently, and smoothen workflow, you need to set up multiple monitors. You are capable of displaying many windows, apps and documents side-by-side with more screen estate. Let’s dig into the article to learn more about the Triple Monitor Setup.
What Is A Triple Monitor Setup?
A triple monitor setup refers to three monitors that are connected to a single source — a computer or laptop — in order to display one image. Several cables are able to connect a laptop to three monitors like HDMI, BGA, or Thunderbolt three.
Is A Triple Monitor Setup Worth It?
Yes, it is able to increase productivity & improve your work or gaming experience. Whether you are a creative freelancer, a professional who works from home or a gamer, you are capable of reaping the advantages of a laptop with multiple screens.
Why Do You Need To Use Multiple Monitors?
Multiple monitors can offer several advantages, such as:
With multiple monitors, it is possible to open many apps simultaneously. Thus, you can switch between them seamlessly. Therefore, you do not need to switch between windows. It helps to save time & increase productivity constantly.
Multiple monitors enable you to work on many tasks simultaneously and make multitasking simpler to do. Remember that it is beneficial for professionals who work on various projects simultaneously.
More Screen Real Estate:
Multiple monitors can offer more screen real estate, the result of which is that you get more space to work with. It is useful for programmers, designers, and professionals who work with many apps and Windows.
Enhanced Viewing Experience:
Multiple monitors deliver a better viewing experience so that you can see various apps and windows side-by-side. It is beneficial for video editors & photographers who are willing to compare many videos or images.
These are the advantages that you can get while using multiple monitors. However, a few users can find more benefits in particular fields like live streaming, data analysis, & video conferencing.
Cons Of Triple-Monitor Desk Setup:
- Expensive – Undoubtedly, a triple monitor setup is costly with all the hardware requirements.
- Space Required – If you are planning to set up three monitors, remember that it will require enough space on your desk. In fact, you need to have a very spacious desk so that there will be enough space to keep other items as well.
- Time For Adjustment – If you are going to use the triple monitor setup for the first time, it will take a certain time to get used to. Although it seems great from the outside, to adjust your eyes to different dimensions of the monitors, you will require some practice.
Features To Consider When Choosing The Triple Monitors For Laptops:
You have to look for particular features to ensure that your selected portable monitor is the correct fit for you.
This factor is paramount. You need to select the ideal size, which depends on the size of your laptop’s screen. Besides, you have to consider for which purpose you require this. If you are willing to design or edit multiple code lines, you can go with a slightly bigger size.
It is another factor which you have to think about. You have to determine whether you need the monitor at home or lug this around with you to school, a coffee shop, etc. Ensure that the monitor you will carry has to be comfortable. Besides, it must not seem like a burden while making longer or more frequent trips.
It is essential for a second or 3rd screen. As meetings in the office are common, the screen needs to be clear when a person shares the screen with you. You have to give importance to screen clarity when you code, edit images or videos, or design logos. On the flip side, a 4K resolution isn’t a must for gaming.
The screens must be capable of connecting to your laptop & other devices. It will be best, if you select a USB C or USB A connection. The reason is that it is the new standard for most devices.
You should keep your tri-screen laptop protected from being scratched at home or on the go. The longevity of your portable screen relies on the existence of the screen protector. Try to cover the bases when you make a big investment.
Ensure that your screen has to be battery-operated. Or it does not leech on too much of the laptop’s power.
Multiple Monitors Increase Your Productivity:
Within this setup, you are able to boost your productivity in different ways. When you work, the additional display will assist you in performing different tasks. It lets you create a more efficient workflow. Besides, when you multitask, there will be no need to flip between screens.
Why Should Triple Monitor Setup Be Done?
These are the tasks that multiple screens can make easier.
Work And Conferencing:
Are you a professional who is working from home? Then, you must be familiar with the meetings on your laptop with team members. Whenever it comes to remote work, communication plays a vital role. The job can be easier with the help of triple monitors. You are capable of conducting a Zoom call with team members on a screen & using the other in order to polish up a few of your work or share a screen.
Tri-screen laptops help you in multitasking. You don’t need to switch between screens. Besides, you are able to listen in on the meeting while ticking something off the to-do list.
A triple-screen setup can easily help you to enhance your gaming experience. The reason is that it can generate a more wholesome experience.
Video Clips Or Programming:
Sometimes, you may have to learn a new technique or need to take the help of a tech guy to explain how a problem is solved in a video. A triple-screen setup enables you to pull up the video on one screen, and fix the issue on the other, or you are able to follow along with what the guy is doing. It makes the procedure more seamless to get through.
What could be better than one screen for streaming? Three! You are able to create an immersive experience with a triple-screen setup.
Several people need to present physically at work, share collected data or anything else. It relies on your role. You are capable of sharing your screen & communicating with the team more efficiently using this setup.
If you are a graphic designer and illustrator, you will benefit by having multiple screens, as these let you look closely at your work. The reason is that you need to ensure that each detail is perfect.
Connecting Multiple Monitors:
You first have to check the number of monitors that your GPU is able to support. In addition, you have to check the available number of graphic ports like DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, and VGA. If you do not have a discrete graphics card, you will only get to see two ports.
In most cases, motherboards are able to run with only two monitors set up while they have their integrated graphics. But when you have a discrete graphics card, at least three ports will be there, excluding those available on your motherboard.
For a multi-monitor setup, users are capable of using ports on their graphics card & motherboard. While moving Windows between monitors, performance drop or lag is something you will experience.
Your graphics card may have three or more ports. However, it does not indicate that you are able to use them all simultaneously. You have to check if the available graphics card is compatible with multiple monitors.
If you are willing to find the graphics card’s name on Windows 8, these are the steps you should follow:
- Your first task is to tap on Windows+I.
- Then, you need to head toward the Control Panel.
- After that, your task is to tap on Device Manager.
- Now, your task is to tap on the arrow beside Display Adapters.
- You will see the name of your graphics card under this.
For Windows 10:
Windows 10 users need to follow these steps:
- First, you have to navigate to the Control Panel.
- Next, you need to tap on Display.
- After that, your task is to move to Screen Resolution.
- Then, you have to tap on Advanced Settings.
- Now, you should tap on the Adapter tab.
As soon as you have found the graphics card’s name, you need to do these steps:
- Your first task is to Google the graphics card’s name.
- Now, you should look for its product specifications.
- The number of monitors supported by your GPU is available under Processor Graphics information.
It is possible to daisy-chain those monitors that have DisplayPort and are compatible with multi-streaming from a single DisplayPort connection on your Graphics card. There is no need to have displays of the same size. For instance, the size of the main display is 27 inches, whereas 24″ is the size of two other displays with a super-thin bezel. They work together in an exceptional way.
Know Your Ports:
Let’s know about different ports on systems and monitors.
DisplayPort: It is the latest digital standard for ports. You can use them to connect monitors & computers. These look like a USB but with one angle on one side. You should use this if the PC & monitor have one.
This standard port is used to connect different video devices. It can provide similar video quality to DVI. Besides, it is able to offer audio through cable.
It stands for Digital Video Interface. This digital standard port is used to connect monitors to computers. These come in color-coded with white labels or plastic. It can provide video quality similar to HDMI.
This term stands for Video Graphics Array. It refers to an analog standard port that you can use to connect computers & monitors. They come in color-coded with a blue label or plastic. As these are analog connectors, they are capable of creating considerably fuzzier images with less vivid pictures. So, you need to use this only when no other connectors are available.
Time To Pick Your Monitors
After ensuring that your system is compatible with many monitors, let’s learn about picking monitors before knowing how to set up multiple monitors with a single laptop. Generally, monitors are available at reasonable prices, and have a good display.
Do you not want to go for a second-hand monitor? Then, you need to go with a 24-inch Acer with an IPS display. But gamers would require a full off-axis view with a slower response time. Hence, you can choose a 24″ Asus with a TN screen. You are even capable of selecting a smaller IPS monitor from the HP Pavilion of 21.5 inches. If you want a budget-friendly option, a bigger 27″ monitor from ViewSonic will be a great option.
No monitor is perfect. There are several factors to consider, such as available space, current monitor, etc. In addition, determining what you are willing to do with your extra monitors is crucial in selecting the ideal one. Do you not like to play games? Then, you can choose monitors of different sizes, and make the bigger monitor your primary one. But, those who want to play games on a multi-monitor setup can have less pleasant experiences because of the variable sizes.
Before you plan to purchase a monitor, you have to ensure its input ports correspond to the ones on the output port of your system. You may use a conversion cable, but it is a hassle. In addition, you should avoid VGA ports because these are analog connectors. It makes the display less sharp & less vivid in colour.
Triple Monitor Setup Guide
If you want, you are able to just put the monitors side by side. Definitely they will work fine. But it is not the only option. You are able to maximize your multi-screen setup based on your needs.
Side By Side:
Several users prefer this option for 2 or 3 monitor setups. It is the easiest setup, mainly for double or triple monitor setup. You will be able to keep an eye on many tabs and you will not need to move your head from side to side. But, it will take a lot of space on the desk. The issue can be overcome by mounting them. The best thing is you will not need a lot of planning for this very easy and functional set up.
Although this setting is the preferred option for the 4 monitor setup, it is possible to use this setting for the 3-screen monitor setup. This setting helps to free up a lot of desk space, but you need to crane your neck up in order to look at the other two screens. If you use this setting for triple monitor setup, you need to mount one or two screens, and keep the primary monitor at the desk. Most of the users find this setup useful with one ultrawide monitor alongside secondary displays for 3 monitor setup, as it is difficult to put them side by side.
However, you are able to put the secondary monitor below the main one. But it may occupy a lot of space. However, it will be more comfortable for you to look at. In order to stack the monitors, you will require a stand that is capable of supporting stacking. Otherwise, you are able to mount them.
Landscape or Portrait
You may find a few stands that allow you to rotate the screens to 180 degrees. This setting is very useful for specific types of work, such as programming. The extra vertical view will be helpful for reading and writing the code. Does your work need more vertical space compared to horizontal space? Then, go for this setup. Do you need a lot of vertical space? Then, you need to go for an ultrawide monitor with a rotatable stand.
Setup for Non-Monitor Monitor
A lot of people are there who use tablets or TVs as the primary monitor. You definitely do not want a massive TV resting on the desk. Isn’t it? Then, you are able to mount the TV monitor above or beside the desk setup. You can use an extendable wall mount for pulling it closer or move it away as per your requirements. Although tablets are smaller, these are very useful. You are able to connect multiple tablets to the PC and then you can use their touch screen function for different tasks.
How to Set Up Three Monitors?
Configure Your PC:
In order to use multiple monitor setups, you have to configure your PC. It can be done in several methods.
- Your first job is to hit the Windows logo key & P simultaneously.
- Then, you have to select Computer (Or PC Screen) Only in order to view the pictures on your PC’s monitor.
- You can make a duplicate to view the same pictures as your PC. It will deduct the resolution on other screens. You are able to use the option for lectures or presentations.
- Then, you need to click & drag the title bar to extend. Now, you need to extend your windows across your screens.
- If you are willing to use a higher resolution on the external monitors, you can use Projector (or Second Screen).
Screen Resolution Menu:
- Your first job here is to right-click on the void space on the desktop.
- Now, you need to choose Screen Resolution.
- Then, you have to tap on Multiple Displays.
- You have to choose to Extend these displays or duplicate these display options.
- Now, you need to tap on Identify these monitors so that you can understand which of the monitors are labelled as 1,2, 3, and so on.
- You should record them by dragging the icons in order to match the settings.
- Next, you need to choose the screen resolution by tapping on the Resolution menu.
- Now, you need to tap on OK.
- Finally, your task is to restart the system.
Connecting Two Monitors to a Laptop with a Docking Station:
The process you need to follow to set up multiple monitors with a laptop using a docking station is:
- First, you have to connect the laptop to a power outlet. Next, you need to turn on this.
- Then, you have to connect monitors to the docking station.
- After that, your job is to turn on the monitors.
- If you use external USB devices or ethernet cables, you have to connect them to the docking station.
- Now, your task is to connect the power cable to the docking station, and later, you should turn on this.
- Next, your task is to connect the docking station to the laptop.
- Finally, your task is to download drivers and install them for the docking stations.
How To Set Up Multiple Monitors In Windows 11:
It is simple to set up three or more monitors in Windows 11. These are the steps you have to follow:
- Your first job is to right-click on the Desktop. Then, your task is to choose “Display settings.” Once you see the settings window, you get to see the current display(s) & some options to change them.
- In order to set up many monitors, you need to choose the “Extend these displays” option. It lets you use both displays as separate screens instead of duplicating the same content on both.
- As soon as you have chosen the displays that you are willing to use, you need to apply the changes by tapping on “Keep changes.” Now, you can see that your monitors are set up and ready to use. However, you are able to adjust a few things in order to optimize your multi-monitor setup.
Rearrange Monitors & Select A Main Display:
Suppose you have set up many monitors & are willing to adjust every display’s position. Then, these are the steps you have to follow.
- You can see the monitors’ position relative to each other by looking at the boxes labelled “” and “”.
- Now, you need to tap on “Identify” in order to identify which number corresponds to which display. You get to see a number on the screen of the display.
- Thereafter, your task is to choose the display & drag it to the selected position.
- Save the changes by tapping on the “Apply” option. You will always get to see the Windows 11 task tray, Quick Settings, & calendar on the main monitor. There are a few apps that run best on the main monitor with optimal display settings. In order to ensure this, you need to open the “Multiple displays” menu. Next, you should choose “Make this my main display.”
Thus, you are able to make sure that the important apps run on the main monitor with the optimal display settings.
Change The Size Of Text, Apps, and other Objects:
When you deal with many monitors, you can see a few text, icons, & other objects that may appear too large or too small on the screen.
Windows 11 is able to adjust the text size and apps for the display of your monitor automatically with the purpose of optimizing it. It indicates that you will not need to adjust the settings manually for every app or text.
Changing The Size Of Text, Apps, And Other Objects:
Are you willing to customize the text size, apps & other objects? Then, you should know that it can be done in the “Scale” menu. Right-click on the desktop, and thereafter, you have to choose “Display settings” to access it. Then, you need to tap on “Scale and layout” from there. You have to use the given slider to adjust the size.
Changing The Display Resolution:
Do you want to change the display’s resolution? It can be done in the “Display resolution” menu. Right-click on the desktop, and thereafter, your job is to choose “Display settings” in order to access it. From there, your task is to tap on the “Display resolution” option. Then, you need to select the resolution from the given option. Once you change the resolution, it will affect the screen’s text size & apps.
How to Set Up Three Monitors In Windows 10:
As soon as you create a triple monitor setup on your Windows laptop, it will increase productivity & expand the workspace. Do you have all the essential hardware? Then, you know that it is simple to set up multiple monitors.
These are the steps you have to follow to set up a 3-monitor display on your Windows laptop:
- You need to open Settings from the Start menu. Otherwise, you are able to hit the Windows + I keys simultaneously.
- In the Settings menu, your task is to tap on the “System” option.
- It is essential to make sure that you are on the “Display” tab. Next, you need to hit the “Detect” button. It enables Windows to detect all the connected displays.
- Three monitors can be seen now that are possible to be arranged in any order. If you are willing to rearrange them, your job is to tap & drag every monitor to the chosen position.
- As soon as you arrange your monitors, you can save the changes by hitting the “Apply” button.
- Tap on the “Identify” button in order to identify the position of a monitor. You can then see a number on the display screen to which it is assigned.
- You have to scroll down & then check the box adjacent to “Make this my main display” in order to turn a monitor into your primary display.
- When you navigate to the “Scale and Layout” option in the Display settings, you are able to change the orientation or the screen resolution.
How to Set Up Three Monitors for Macbooks:
- First, you need to go to Finder.
- Then, you have to go to “system settings”.
- Now, you need to click on “displays’ ‘ that you can see in the sidebar. Otherwise, you can search “displays” in the search bar.
- After that, your task is to select the “+” pop-up menu, which can be seen on the right, below the Mac’s name.
- Now, your job is to choose your display.
- In case a display isn’t showing, you need to click “detect display” on the right. Otherwise, you are able to put your Mac to sleep and then wake it.
Can Your Computer Support Three Monitors?
Remember that a computer must have proper software & hardware to support three monitors at a time. You should know that computers with even enough physical video outputs won’t even support three monitors when the driver for the graphics hardware does not have enough support for multiple displays.
Do you know what the incredible diversity of PC hardware means? It indicates that no easy and fast rule is there to determine if your PC is compatible with three monitors or not. Rather than that, you should test the physical connectors. In addition, examining the published specifications is possible for your PC’s graphics hardware.
You are able to tally the physical video outputs at the ports of your PC. But a common exception is there. Most desktops are able to handle video connections from a graphics solution at a time. Using video output is not possible from a motherboard & video card in case you have installed one.
It is necessary to check the published specifications for the available graphics hardware. You should determine the hardware used by your PC with a Windows Search for Device Manager. Your first job is to open Device Manager. Next, you need to find Display adapters in the drop-down list. You can see the graphics hardware used by your computer in order to expand the option.
Once you get to know the graphics hardware, you are capable of hitting your favourite search engine. It is essential to find a specification page or support on the company’s official website that produced the graphics hardware of the PC.
You can face difficulties in looking for the official specifications for hardware more than five years old. In this case, you need to be aware of the results from the unofficial websites. Several 3rd-party websites try to compile graphics hardware specifications. But in most cases, these are unreliable.
How Do You Connect 3 Monitors With an HDMI Splitter?
Three monitors can be connected using an HDMI splitter. However, you might not get the results you desire. Hence, you need to know what an HDMI splitter is. It refers to a video adapter that is capable of taking a single output, and then splitting it into many duplicate outputs. On multiple monitors, it is able to only display a single video output.
In simple terms, on all three monitors, you can see the same picture. So, it does not have so much use on a PC. You need to know that no simple way exists to expand a PC’s display output limitation with an adapter or a splitter. An external graphics card is the only option that can be used to extend the display output of your PC. It bypasses the default graphics hardware. This one is a costlier option and supports a small selection of PCs.
Connecting 3 Monitors With a Daisy Chain:
A daisy chain is an option used to connect three monitors. It is supported by DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3 (or newer), and USB-C connections that include DisplayPort mode. Remember that HDMI is not compatible with daisy chains.
In a daisy chain, the first monitor is used to connect to the PC through a video output. Next, the first monitor lets you connect to the second & then the second monitor to the third. You need to know one thing: the daisy chain has limitations, though it is functional. The 1st and 2nd monitors need to have video connections that work as an output. This configuration is very rare. Therefore, you have to carefully check the specifications of the monitor you are willing to use.
Make sure that your PC supports this feature. PCs that people bought in the last few years will, but the older ones often don’t. It is essential to check the manufacturing website of your PC or the website of the company (producer of the graphics card) in order to check if Daisy chains are supported.
Tips for Better Productivity With Multiple Monitors:
Once you learn how to connect many monitors, these are the steps you should follow to increase your productivity with them.
#1) Reduce Multi-Tasking:
When you have a larger screen, you can easily access multiple things, which can increase productivity. You must organize screens in a way that shows things that are relevant to the task at hand.
#2) Take Out Distractions:
Ensure that you are not working on one screen & filling others with games or social media feeds. Several monitors enable you to see all at a time. But it does not indicate you should. You should not open anything which is not related to your work.
#3) Use Desktop Cloud-based Apps:
Cloud-based apps generally use a browser. It indicates that you need to open many browsers. Hence, you have to toggle back and forth. It can waste plenty of time. When it comes to desktop-based cloud apps, these enable you to use many monitors effectively. And the interesting thing is that you don’t even need to toggle back and forth.
#4) Adjust According To Your Eyesight:
If you are unable to see things clearly at a distance, ensure that the monitors are placed at a comfortable distance. Do you have trouble reading the small fonts? Then, you should try to make them big. When you spend less time focusing on adjusting your eyesight to the monitors, you could be able to get more done.
#5) Pick A Proper Monitor Setup:
Ensure that you set up your monitors in a way that assists you in getting a seamless view of the tasks. In addition, there is no need to use one monitor per app. If you are able to access your application on half the screen, you can use the other half for another application, which will be useful for ongoing work.
What To Look For In Triple Monitors For A Laptop?
You have to keep in mind several things while choosing your second and third monitors. Let’s check it:
Suitable Screen Size For The Laptop:
You have to find a screen that will not look awkward next to the laptop’s. Generally, the sizes of the screen range from 3.5 inches to 22 inches. So, make sure that you are choosing something that is neither too small nor too big for the size of the laptop. Basically, the screen size needs to be between 12 to 17 inches. Most of the users go for something that is the exact same size as the laptop or just a little bit smaller.
You need to either go for a high-resolution screen to get a better viewing experience or you can opt for something similar to the native resolution of your laptop. Generally, the extra monitors tend to be dimmer compared to a laptop at the maximum brightness levels.
Is this aspect important to you? Or do you need to read large chunks of text? Or do you need to work on a creative piece? Then, you have to check if the monitor that you have chosen comes with an auto-rotation display.
You should know that harsh glare of the screen can damage your eyes, mainly if you are using it for a long period. So, it is essential to protect your eyesight from damage. Therefore, you need to look for eye-care modes when you are buying additional screens. Make sure that the screen comes with a blue-light filter in order to protect vision as well as to reduce eye strain by reducing the contrast.
Are you willing to switch between devices with your monitor? Then, you should go for a screen that has multi-device compatibility. It means the screen will be able to support several devices like regular laptops or the Samsung DeX, Macbook, or Nintendo Switch.
Hybrid signal input
Remember, hybrid signal input will allow you to quickly set up the screen with any laptop. In a few cases, it means quick connectivity with those laptops that have USB C or USB A port.
How To Wall-mount Multiple Monitors In Tight Workspace?
Can’t you squeeze a second or third monitor on the desk? Then you can mount one on the wall. It is possible to do so when the desk is pressed up against the wall that can support a mounted monitor. Do you have an HP monitor? Then, it is possible to mount it on the wall using an HP B300 PC mounting bracket. You are able to easily install this bracket with the help of some simple tools. It will help to keep the monitor securely fastened to the wall.
A few brackets are available that can hold multiple monitors which are possible to be mounted onto the desk’s back edge when the wall is not an option. Choose that one, which will fit the brand as well as size of the monitor in order to confirm that the monitors are held securely in place.
Use A Standing Desk With 3 Monitors
These desks are one of the most popular office accessories nowadays. You definitely know that sitting for long hours is not good for health. If you use a standing desk, it will allow you to quickly transition between sitting and standing when you are working.
Can You Close The Laptop And Still Use The External Monitor?
Yes, you can do so. You just need to tweak the settings a little.
- First, you need to right-click on the battery icon of the laptop.
- Then, you need to tap on Power Options.
- Now, your task is to choose the “When I close the lid” option.
- Next, your task is to click on Do Nothing.
- Finally, you need to tap on Save Changes.
The Bottom Line:
When you set up multiple monitors, it allows you to enhance workflow and improve productivity. In addition, it lets you generate more space for your apps. In this article, we have discussed in detail how Triple Monitor Setup can be done. Still, if you have any queries, let us know via comments.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you set up three monitors?
An HDMI cable or DisplayPort can be used to connect three monitors. Otherwise, you are also able to use Daisy chains. Navigate to the screen resolution. Next, you should tweak the settings under the display option in order to extend or duplicate the monitors. Then, you have to select the main monitor.
What cables do you need to set up dual monitors?
You will require an HDMI cable for a standard connection. In addition, it is also possible to use a DVI or VGA cable to set up the dual monitors.
How do you connect three monitors to your laptop with one HDMI port?
Connecting three monitors to your system is possible using an adapter or splitter with an HDMI port.